Further to my previous post about Gmail, I noticed earlier in the week that I was missing a number of contacts in my phone. “Surely I did not delete them, did I?” I thought… Checked and checked again and indeed I was missing contacts stored in my Gmail account. How could that be? I had set up my account so that my contacts were synced… oh well, it turns out that back in September 2012 Gmail announced the possibility to sync contacts using CardDAV. However, in December, in their wisdom they decided to discontinue Google Sync from January 30th 2013. I had no idea about this, but here is a post from macworld about it.
So, my contacts had not been deleted, Gmail was not working as I imagined… So, here is how to sync your contacts using CardDAV.
- Open the “Settings” application on your iPhone or iPad.
- Select Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Select “Add Account” and then “Other”
- Select “Add CardDAV Account” and fill in the information. In the Server enter “google.com”
- Select “Next” at the top of your screen, and make sure that the “Contacts” option is turned on.
Once you have done that open your Contacts app and the syncing will start.
A similar problem may occur for calendars, if you are looking for info about that follow this link